Canada Building Permits Fall From Record on Non-Residential Work
The Bank of Canada is counting on a shift in demand to business investment and exports from debt-fueled consumer spending , a process that has taken longer than expected, Senior Deputy Governor Tiff Macklem said in a speech last week. The central bank has kept its overnight interest rate at 1 percent since September 2010 to encourage borrowing and spending. Its a little bit worrying to see the weakness on the non-residential side, though it did show a strong gain last month, said Paul Ferley , assistant chief economist at Royal Bank of Canada in Toronto. Its not indicating non-residential is poised to start leading growth. Canadas dollar declined 0.3 percent to C$1.0322 per U.S. dollar at 9:43 a.m. in Toronto. One Canadian dollar buys 96.88 U.S. cents. July Record Permits for non-residential construction fell 37.9 percent to C$2.43 billion from the July record of C$3.91 billion, with commercial projects dropping 45.8 percent to C$1.40 billion. Industrial permits declined 1.2 percent to C$526 million led by manufacturing plants, following Julys 17.7 percent rise, the agency said. Institutional permits dropped 36.7 percent to C$507 million led by Ontario schools and medical buildings. Residential permits fell 5.4 percent to C$3.91 billion in August. Single-family housing permits declined 3.0 percent to C$2.17 billion and for projects such as apartments and condominiums were down 8.3 percent to C$1.74 billion. With this decline, the trend in the value of building permits has become relatively flat since the beginning of 2013, Statistics Canada said in the report.
Canada hiring more Filipinos to fill out 14,000 job vacancies
He further added that Canada had remained to be disturbed by the reported confinement and intimidation of journalists and political leaders in the South Asian country. There has been alleged harassment of the minorities in the country. People have strangely disappeared and there have been alleged illegal murders. Even though there have been assumptions that Canada may boycott the next Commonwealth summit to be held in Sri Lanka, Mr Harper’s confirmation at the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation meet now makes it official. In addition to the boycott, Prime Minister Stephen Harper warned that Canada might cut off its funding to the Commonwealth organisation on the grounds of the consistent reports of alleged human rights violation in the host country. Mr Harper was speaking at the APEC summit when he expressed that the decision to boycott the summit had been made with a “heavy heart”. Canada’s decision to boycott the Commonwealth summit this year does not, however, come as a surprise as it has been expressing its desire to do so since 2011 when the Commonwealth leaders’ meet was held in Australia . On the other hand, Mr Harper’s candid views on the political condition of Sri Lanka create the ripples. The Commonwealth organisation was formed with 54 nations who were under the British rule in the past and are now facing economic crisis to exist on the global platform. Canada’s decision to boycott the summit may come as a double blow as the U.S. President Barack Obama is not going to be able to present at the meet due to the budget crisis at Washington.
Patinio, Philippine News Agency October 8, 2013 2:45 AM InterAksyon.com The online news portal of TV5 MANILA, Philippines – Job opportunities await many Filipinos planning to work in Canada with the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) and the Canadian government. With the MOU, Labor undersecretary Danilo Cruz said that the signing of the agreement will open possible work prospects for Filipino workers as the Canadian government is looking at the Philippines and other Asian countries to fill out at least 14,000 job vacancies in Saskatchewan to keep up with the labor demands of its still growing economy. Over the last four years, the Philippines has become the largest source country for both immigrants and temporary workers for Canada, overtaking China and India as the traditional sources, he said at the sidelines of the signing held in Makati City on Monday. Cruz, together with the contingent from Saskatchewan province of Canada led by its Premier, Brad Wall, signed the MOU which aims to upgrade the provision of the previous MOU between both countries in 2006. According to the Canadian official, some employers from Saskatchewan, which is one of the economic powerhouses in Canada, are currently here in the country to hire workers for an initial 150 job vacancies. However, he noted that they expect to hire more workers in the coming months. Not very long ago, we have a hundred (migrants) per year. Now we have about 3,000 per year and we still have a labor shortage, Wall added. The updated MOU will contain the following new provisions: identification of cooperation priorities; exchange of information; prohibition of charging of recruitment fees to workers; enjoining the employers recruiting overseas Filipinos workers (OFW) outside the Philippines to course hiring in the nearest Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO); enforcement of regulations to protect workers. Among the most in-demand jobs in Canada are in the fields of business, natural and applied sciences, health, social science, education, government service, trade, transportation, oil and gas processing and manufacturing. If you go in a website called Saskjobs.Ca today there are usually around 10,000 unfilled jobs. So in order to keep our economy growing we need to focus on the labor shortage and a part of that is international recruitment, Wall said. He added that many Canadian employers prefer Filipinos because of their fluency in the English language and commendable work ethics.